Cookery [kook-uh-ree] - the art or practice of cooking; a place equipped for cooking.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Chocolate Fudge Yogurt Cookies

Well...I tried something really new, in line with my attempt at a healthier living and...it turned out OK. I can't decide if they're good, or if I keep eating them because they're chocolate. I found this recipe, Chocolate Fudge Yogurt Cookies, on GiveRecipe.com. The greek yogurt gives it a kind of tangy/sour taste, which I don't mind but it's odd in cookies. Daniel (fiance) ate a few of them, but he said they were "OK".



Servings: 55 (original recipe estimated 30 cookies)
About 54 calories per cookie

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 3/4 cup greek yogurt*
1 1/2 cup flour**
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips***
2 tsp sea salt

*I used non-fat. Original recipe calls for only 1 1/4 cup yogurt, but I had to add about a 1/2 cup more because the dough was extremely dry after the first mix attempt. Also, unless I read it wrong, the recipe doesn't say where to mix the yogurt in, so I added it with the other "wet" ingredients.
**I used all-purpose flour.
***I used milk chocolate baking chips, so that the sweetness would balance out the unsweetened cocoa powder a bit more.


Step 1: Preheat oven to 355F.
Step 2: Line oven tray/baking sheet with parchment paper (I used my Pampered Chef silicon baking sheet).
Step 3. Whisk egg and sugar together until smooth.
Step 4: Mix yogurt and vanilla extract in with egg mixture until smooth. (This is the step I added, since the original recipe doesn't say where to mix in yogurt)
Step 5: Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking, powder, and salt in separate bowl.
Step 6: Add flour mixture to egg mixture gradually, stirring well. (This is where I discovered the dough was too try, and added first a 1/4 cup of extra yogurt. The dough was more wet, but still really thick and hard to work with so I added an extra 1/4 cup, totaling 1 3/4 cup yogurt for the recipe).
Step 7: Fold in chocolate chips.
Step 8: Drop batter onto prepared tray (~2 tsp worth) and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Step 9: Transfer baked cookies to wire rack and sprinkle with sea salt.

Recipe's time estimate: 25 minute total (15 minute prep, 10 minute cook)
My total cooking time: 50 minutes (30 minute prep, 20 minute cook)

I think I'll try these again, because they're not bad. But I'll tweek the sugar/chocolate amounts until it's just right. All in all, not bad for a "healthier" chocolate cookie recipe! I'll also be taking this first attempt to work, to see how it's judged by the public.

Ingredients

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 7

Step 8

1 comment:

  1. So while I don't mind them, the co-workers were rather leery of it. Two of them tried it and made faces, and so the rest didn't try any. And they said they don't look appealing. So....I might try this again, but probably not.

    ReplyDelete