Cookery [kook-uh-ree] - the art or practice of cooking; a place equipped for cooking.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chinese Sticky Rice (Nuomi Fan)

I love chinese sticky rice. Everytime I eat Dim Sum, I must order it (it's the stuff that's usually wrapped in a lotus leaf). And one of my favorite parts of sticky rice is the chinese sausage in it!! It's oh so yummy fatty goodness!!! So I decided to try my hand at making my own sticky rice, so I don't have to wait until the next time I find it at a restaurant (Davis/Sacramento area does not really have a wide selection of such things). I found this recipe online for the Sticky Rice. I halved the recipe from the link, since that supposedly made enough to feed a LOT of people. And.....ta da!!!! Delicious Chinese sticky rice!!! Pretty damn good if I do say so myself. Yes, it does take a long time (mostly prep/cooking waiting time), but totally worth it. And definitely easy to make for large groups.


Ingredients:
2 cups sweet (glutinous/sticky) rice
1 cup jasmine rice
12 Chinese dried shiitake mushrooms
4 Chinese sausages (lop chong)
1/2 lb Chinese BBQ pork
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/4 tbsp soy sauce, divided
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Makes about 2 quarts (serves about 8 people).
Weight Watchers points: 6 per serving (1/8 of recipe)

Step 1: In a 6-quart stockpot, wash all the rice in several changes of cold water until water is clear. Soak rice for 1 hour (in enough col water to cover).
Step 2: In a bowl, soak mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes, until softened.
Step 3: When softened, drain and squeeze mushrooms, reserving the liquid. Cut off and discard stems and chop the cups.
Step 4: Chop sausage and bbq pork; set aside separately.

**Wait until rice is almost done soaking to proceed.
Step 5: Heat large wok/skillet over high heat until hot.
Step 6: Add oil and sausage; stir-fry 1 minute.
Step 7: Add mushrooms and por; stir-fry 3-4 minutes, until heated through.
Step 8: Add 1/2 tsbp soy sauce; stir to combine then remove from heat and set aside.

Step 9: Drain rice.
Step 10: Add chicken stock and 1 cup of reserved mushroom liquid; bring to a boil over high heat.
Step 11: Reduce heat to LOW, cover and cook 10 minutes.
Step 12: Uncover and quickly scoop sausage mixture on top of rice (don't mix).
Step 13: Immediately cover and continue cooking rice 25-30 minutes, or until liquid is completely absorbed and rice is tender.
Step 14: Let stand 5 minutes.
Step 15: Add 3/4 tbsp soy sauce, oyster sauce, scallions, and cilantro; stir to combine.

My cooking times:
Prep (including soak times): 1 hour 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours 5 minutes


Ingredients

Step 1

Step 3

Step 4 (sausage)

Step 6

Step 12

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the sticky rice recipe and the Weight Watcher point plus value. I signed up for WW last year and I did lose weight, but stopped because I missed eating "real" Chinese food, and there are no WW points for "real" Chinese food to be found. I was only able to find WW points for American style Chinese food (not the same as "real" Chinese food). Thanks for blogging the information.

    ReplyDelete