Cookery [kook-uh-ree] - the art or practice of cooking; a place equipped for cooking.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Triple Chocolate Tofu Brownies

I recently joined Weight Watchers Online, and have been looking for "healthier" or lower fat dessert to make....since I love desserts, but the girls at work don't seem to be eating as much of the stuff I bring in anymore, and I've heard some grumbling about fat and diet. Weigh Watchers had a note that said tofu can be substituted for heavy creams and such, so I decided to look into it, and I found this recipe on AllRecipes.com: Triple Chocolate Tofu Brownies. Now I admit, I was skeptical. Tofu in brownies? But I tried it, and it turned out pretty good!! I modified it slightly, so if you want to see the original recipe, visit the link!



Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
10 oz pkg silken tofu, drained
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup white sugar
4 tsp vanilla extract
4 1-oz squares Baker's unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate chips

Weigh Watchers points: 3 per bar

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 8-inch square baking pan.
Step 2: Combine flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl.
Step 3: Place tofu in a blender; puree until smooth [the blender didn't work so well for me; next time I will try a food processor].
Step 4: Add olive oil and sugar to blender; blend for 1 minute.
Step 5: Pour tofu mix into mixing bowl; stir in vanilla extract.
Step 6: Melt unsweetened chocolate (using double broiler or microwave).
Step 7: Mix melted chocolate into tofu mixture until well-blended.
Step 8: Stir in flour mixture until thoroughly combined.
Step 9: Fold in chocolate chips.
Step 10: Pour into baking pan; bake about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Step 11: Cool before slicing into bars (24 bars).

Recipe times:
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes

My times:
Prep: 30 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour

This turns out very dark-chocolate-ty. Not bad, but a litter bitter for my taste (I don't go out of my way to eat dark chocolate). But if you are into dark chocolate, you will love this!!! You can't even tell there's tofu in it!!! Two thumbs up!


Ingredients

Step 2

Step 3

Step 5

Step 7

Step 8: Not mixed

Step 8: Mixed
Step 10

No comments:

Post a Comment