Cookery [kook-uh-ree] - the art or practice of cooking; a place equipped for cooking.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Banana-Oatmeal Bread

I had a lot of bananas that were getting pretty ripe, so I searched for a recipe to try and use some up. And since it seems that most of the girls at work are now dieting or watching what they eat, I looked for a "healthy" or "low-fat" recipe. And I found this Banana-Oatmeal Bread at Myrecipes.com. I tweaked it a little bit, based on a couple of the reviews. Turned out pretty good, although finding the right amount of cooking time without burning it wasn't easy!


Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
7 tbsp vegetable oil [I used 5 tbsp]
2 large egg whites [I didn't use this]
1 large egg [I used 2 large eggs]
1 1/3 cups mashed ripe banana, about 2 large bananas [I used 3 large ripe bananas]
1 cup regular oats
1/2 cup fat-free milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon [I used 3/4 tsp]

Step 1: Preheat over to 350F.
Step 2: Combine sugar, oil, and eggs in large bowl; beat well.
Step 3: Combine banana, oats, and milk; add to sugar mixture, beating well. [I just added them directly to the sugar mixture and made sure to beat well]
Step 4: Combine flour, baking powder, baking soad, salt, and cinnamon; stir with a whisk.
Step 5: Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat just until moist. [I just added all the dry ingredients directly to the sugar mixture, beating until just mixed after every ingredient]
Step 6: Spoon/pour batter into a greased 9 x 5 inch loaf ban.
Step 7: Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until wooden toothpick (or chopstick) comes out clean. [If you followed my version, I had to bake it for 50 minutes at 350F and then 40 minutes at 275F]
Step 8: Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

My cooking time:
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour and 40 minutes (including cooling)
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours

I think it turned out pretty good. It's kind of dense (probably due to the exhorbitant amount of banana I used), but nummi all the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment