Cookery [kook-uh-ree] - the art or practice of cooking; a place equipped for cooking.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Dan has told me in the past that this is one of his favorite cakes. I must admit, I've never had it before...and it goes without saying I've never made it (or anything like it) before. But I shall boldy go where...I have never gone before... I tweaked a recipe I found in my Baking: A Commonsense Guide cookbook since I don't have a ring tin, so the recipe below is my version of the Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. It turned out pretty tasty, if a little on the dry side. Enjoy!!



Ingredients:
1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
1 can (at least 1 lb) pineapple rings in natural juice
4 oz (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F.
Step 2: Lightly grease 8-inch round cake pan.
Step 3: Pour melted butter into base of the pan and tip to coat evenly.
Step 4: Sprinkle bottom of pan with brown sugar.
Step 5: Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup of the juice.
Step 6: Cut the pineapple rings in half, arrange on the base (put one whole ring in the center).
Step 7: Beat the softened butter and sugar until creamy.
Step 8: Add eggs individually, beating well after each addition.
Step 9: Add vanilla extract, beat until combined.
Step 10: Fold in flour and reserved pineapple juice, alternating.
Step 11: Spoon mixture evenly over the pineapple and smooth surface.
Step 12: Baker for 35-45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the center.
Step 13: Leave in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

Cookbook times:  Prep: 20+ minutes, Cooking: 40 minutes
My cooking times:
Prep: 35 minutes
Cook/baking: 45 minutes + 10 minutes cooling
TOTAL TIME: 1.5 hours


Ingredients (minus eggs)

Step 6

No comments:

Post a Comment