Cookery [kook-uh-ree] - the art or practice of cooking; a place equipped for cooking.

Sunday, February 15, 2015

BBQ Bacon Sushi

Yes...the name is a little....odd. And maybe off-putting to some. But I LOVE bacon and was intrigued. I actually found this through some Facebook page, and was excited by how easy the recipe looked. And what better time to try it than Valentine's Day, for my sweetie that loves all things meat? I used ground lean turkey, since that's what I have on-hand, instead of beef like the recipe called for. I also used my oven on "bake" setting, because I didn't feel like using our outdoor BBQ grill. The original recipe (actually a YouTube video) can be found here. This turned out OK, and it was actually really easy to make. I think I just need to fine-tune the ground meat seasoning, as it was a little bland this first attempt.



Servings: 16
About 141 calories per serving

Ingredients:
12 Slices of Bacon
1.5 lbs Ground Turkey (24 oz)
BBQ Rub or seasoning of your choice
4-5 oz cheese
2/3 cup BBQ sauce

Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2: Prep grilling rack (I used a small grill rack in a lined baking tray).
Step 3: Prep ground meat, mixing with desired seasoning.
Step 4: On wax paper, lay out 6 slices of bacon side-by-side.
Step 5: Spread half of the ground meet on top of the bacon in a thin layer.
Step 6: Put half of the cheese (cut into sticks or strips) along one side of the meat (at one of the edges with the bacon ends).
Step 7: Roll everything up, like sushi.
Step 8: Place roll on grill rack.
Step 9: Repeat steps 4-9 with remaining bacon, meat, and cheese.
Step 10: Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Step 11: Brush with BBQ sauce. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.
Step 12: Brush again with BBQ sauce. Bake for another 5 minutes.
Step 13: Remove from oven. Slice each roll into 8 pieces.
Step 14: Serve with additional BBQ sauce and any other condiments (such as pickled jalapeno).

Recipe's time estimate: not listed
My total cooking time: 55 minutes (15 minute prep, 40 minutes cook)

It's hard to tell if the inside of the roll is fully cooked. The cheese was melted and oozing out, so I assumed everything was done. But when I actually sliced everything and started to eat it, I kind of felt like it could have been cooked longer. Nothing looked raw anymore, but I'm not sure about fully cooked....So in the future I'll add on another 5 minutes to the first two cooking stages. I might also invest in a meat thermometer.

But it was still enjoyable. I might try using sliced cheese and creating another "layer" (more like a pinwheel dish), instead of just a center cheese filling. I might also try layering some BBQ sauce too. I think I'll definitely try this again.

Ingredients

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Step 8

Step 11

Step 13

1 comment:

  1. Yum yum yummy! ! This is dinner tonight with radish slaw on top and tomato salad 9n the side. Can't wait for dinner.

    ReplyDelete