Cookery [kook-uh-ree] - the art or practice of cooking; a place equipped for cooking.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Turkey Vegetable Cobbler

I felt like something healthy for dinner tonight, so I browsed through my Pampered Chef It's Good for You cookbook. Pork, nah...beef...fish...nah. Oooo, turkey!! So I looked at the recipe, and thought "hey, this doesn't seem so tough, I can do this quickly". Except when I went to the store, the only turkey I could find was the deli sliced one. So since the recipe said turkey OR chicken in the ingredient list, I decided to use the canned chicken breast chunky meat instead! So here it is!

~Turkey Chicken Vegetable Cobbler~




Ingredients:
~Turkey & Vegetable filling~
2 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken [I used 2 cans of chicken breast meat]
1 cup sliced carrots [about 3 medium carrots]
1/2 cup chopped onion [1 small/medium onion]
2 cups broccoli florets [about 1 head of broccoli]
1 can (10.75 oz) 98% fat-free reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup 100% fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 garlic glove, pressed
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
~Biscuit Topping~
1 1/4 cups reduced-fat all-purpose baking mix [I used Bisquik]
1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 egg white

Step 1: Preheat oven to 400F. Cut turkey into 1/2 inch cubes. Cut carrots into 1/4 inch slices (can use crinkle cutter to be fancy). Chop onion using Food Chopper (PC).
Step 2: Combine carrots, onion, and broccoli into Large Micro-cooker (PC) [I dont' have the Lg Micro-cooker, so I combined the veggies into my Classic Batter Bowl (PC) and microwaved the veggies with a paper towel covering the top. It worked fine.] Microwave, covered, on High 2-3 minutes, or until crisp-tender; drain.
Step 3: In Classic Batter Bowl (PC), combine soup, broth, milk, pressed garlic, thyme, and black pepper; whisk until blended.
Step 4: Stir in turkey (chicken) and vegetable mixture; mix well.
Step 5: Pour into Deep Dish Baker (PC) [I don't have a DDB, so I used my Deep Covered Baker (PC).]
Step 6: For biscuit topping, combine baking mix, milk, and egg white; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened (mixture forms a soft dough).
Step 7: Using Medium Scoop (PC), drop six scoops of dough over filling. [I actually had 8 scoops]
Step 8: Bake 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown. [I baked it for 27 minutes]

Recipe times:
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 30-35 minutes

My times:
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 27 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 57 minutes

Yeah, it took me a little longer than it should have....but still not bad! And it was HEALTHY!!!! According to the recipe, this has 6 servings; each serving contains 270 calories. Not bad! I probably ate 2 servings, because I was so hungry....and it still would be under 600 calories! Yay!! This was very similar to a pot pie, but with biscuits on top...

Ingredients (sans chicken)
Step 2











Step 5
Step 7

No comments:

Post a Comment