Cookery [kook-uh-ree] - the art or practice of cooking; a place equipped for cooking.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Champagne Cookies

I opened a bottle of champagne to try a Midori Fizz (a mix of Midori and champagne) and found that, although good, I couldn't really drink much (I'm a light weight). So....what to do with all the extra champagne???? I looked up recipes, and found a cookie recipe; Champagne Cookie Recipe on Allrecipes.com. It looked easy and delicious, so I had to try it! I found that while tasty (like a sugar cookie with a hint of champagne), it wasn't as solid as the recipe leads you to believe. The dough was not easy to shape into balls, so I plopped a tablespoon's worth (small scoop from PC) onto a cookie sheet and sprinkled the sprinkles onto the dough mound. If I make these again I may try adding a little more flour.



Ingredients:
1/2 cup multicolored candy sprinkles [see above]
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup champagne
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 drops red food coloring, or as needed [to make it pink]

Step 1: Preheat oven to 375F.
Step 2: Beat shortening and sugar until light and creamy. [it didn't really seem creamy to me...that might be one reason it didn't turn out like the recipe said it should].
Step 3: Add champagne and mix for about 1 minute; mixture will be lumpy.
Step 4: Mix in baking powder.
Step 5: Mix in flour until dough is smooth.
Step 6: Add food coloring drop by drop until desired color.
Step 7: Pinch off about 1 rounded tablespoon of dough . Roll dough into a ball and dip top into sprinkles. Place on cookie sheet. [or place about 1 tablespoon of dough on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart, and sprinkle with sprinkles]
Step 8: Bake 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned and crisp.
Step 9: Cool for 1 minute, then move to rack to finish cooling.

Ingredients
Step 7














Total time: 35 minutes

I'll definitely make these again in the future, but will try to adjust the recipe so the dough is a little more solid. The cookie came out very soft, which isn't bad, but the middle bottom stuck to the cookie sheet...

No comments:

Post a Comment